Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Minneapolis Duathlon

F Duathlon_0030

 

 

 

After completing the Lucky 7K in March I decided to sign up for a couple more of the Team Ortho races. I will be doing the Monster Dash in October which is a 10 miler and I also signed up for the Minneapolis Duathlon – Fun Course.

 

 

 

 

 

F Duathlon_0013

 

 

 

3 weeks before the duathlon I decided to go ahead and do it to see what my time would be. Then my training would focus on improving that time.

 

 

F Duathlon_0005

 

The next morning I woke up with a bit of a pain on my right side. Didn’t really think to much of it. Was taking that day off training, anyway, because I worked so hard the day before. The day after that it still hurt but being the person I am I decided to run anyway. Well the pain got worse and worse and after 15 minutes of running I decided I couldn’t do that anymore. Next day, did the cycle class at the health club, it hurt but not that bad. Ya know, I think I’m invincible so I kept working out until the 5th day when the pain progressed to my back.

F Duathlon_0041

 

 

 

OK, I thought, maybe I should get this checked out. Now it hurts like hell to breath deep and it kills when I sneeze. Fine, I hate going to the doctors but I need this better so I can keep going.

Doctor had bad news… he told me I had an inflammation in my lung.

“So, since I’m training for a duathlon does that mean I have to stop for while.”

 

F Duathlon_0049

 

 

“You’re training for a duathlon? That probably is what caused it. You have to stop training and rest about 2-3 weeks.” he says.

“Well the duathlon is in 3 weeks, does that mean I won’t be able to do it?”

“Probably not.” as he’s looking at me. “You CAN NOT work thru it, you have to rest!” Damn, I’m thinking how did he know I was thinking that? LOL

 

 

F Duathlon_0046

 

 

 

 

So I agreed I would not train. Well after 3 weeks of pain while breathing, coughing or sneezing it got better. But not well enough to run in the duathlon. I was very disappointed to say the least! I will be there next year tho and now I have a whole year to work on my time.

 

F Duathlon_0032

 

 

 

 

I did go down and take some pictures though. Which also gave me a better understanding of the transitions between running and biking. But watch out Monster Dash cuz I’m gonna be ready!

 

 

2 comments:

  1. So sorry that you did not get to run and hope you are feeling better..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donna! I do, back to training for the 10 miler in October.

    ReplyDelete