Saturday, June 9, 2012

Beach Bash 5K – June 3, 2012

I ran my 5th race of the year last Sunday up in Long Beach, CA. Long Beach is about 80 miles up the coast from where I am. The race started at 7am, with packet pick up starting at 6am. Since I had a one hour and 15 minute drive to get there I had to leave the house by 5:15am! On a Sunday! So I did…

E Long Beach_04 SMALL

 

 

I got there and could not believe how may houses they would try to squeeze in a block, everyone wants to live by the ocean I suppose! I really liked the beach and it really is long. :) I didn’t know they had oil right off the coast there.

 

 

E Just after start 6 SMALL

 

There were a little over 200 people in attendance to run the race, including a couple of nine year olds! And those nine year olds were good at it, one even beat me and most everyone else!

 

 

 

 

At finish 2

 

This was the first race I ran that was an out and back. I had no intention of beating my time from the week before at the Strawberry 5000, I had already knocked almost 2 minutes off my best time. Well, in an out and back you get to see who is ahead of you. When I was getting close to the turn around I realized I was fourth of all the women, At finish 4OK that’s motivating! The 3rd one was only a short distance ahead of me so shortly after the turn around I went past her. The first one was way up there, now being third I kept an eye on second. I was able to close the gap but ended up 4 seconds behind her, next time… :) I was shocked to realize I finished almost 30 seconds faster then at the Strawberry 5000, my time… 27:15 & I was the third overall women to finish! Never thought it was possible, now I think anything is…

Beach Bash

 

 

 

 

 

 

Beach Bash Medal and #

 

 

1 comment:

  1. I think you should post right after each event... I love the story of this race when you shared it with me on that day...

    Still a great story nonetheless.

    ReplyDelete