Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Beautiful La Jolla, CA & The Seal Beach

LJ Cove

 

La Jolla is the most beautiful place I have seen since arriving in California. It is an upscale area, with many very expensive houses built into the hills, but what I appreciated the most where the rocky cliffs along the coast and the seal beach!

 

LJ Coast

 

 

 

LJ Art

 

 

 

 

 

Across the road from the ocean is this Museum of Contemporary Art, with a 30 boat pile up on the roof. It’s an interesting piece of LJ Birdart that looks like it was created by Mother Nature not a mere mortal artist. A tsunami perhaps… :)

 

Plenty of birds around to steal whatever food you would like to leave lying around. At one point Larry & Mark were sitting on a park bench waiting for me to create master pieces with my camera and a lady came running over by them because she opened her sandwich to eat and the birds swarmed in for the kill! One bird tried to bite her finger. I think she narrowly escaped death that day!

LJ Cove@

 

We walked over to the seal beach, which was legally named “The Children’s Pool”. In the 1930’s the towns people built the jetty to shelter the cove so their children could enjoy the calm water. In the 1970’s the seals decided to muscle the children out, as they knew a good thing when they saw it! This baby doll was left lying on the beach near the seals, makes me curious as to whether or not that fat seal had an extra snack. Ah, I’m just kidding!!! LJ BabyThe beach is not really suitable for human swimming, anymore, because of the high bacteria content from the animals' fecal matter. A trip to San Diego is not complete until you take the drive to La Jolla and the seal beach.

LJ Seal BeachLJ Dead

At the top of the stairs to go down to the seal beach I decided to pretend to have a little mishap, here I am playing “fallin off the ledge girl” LOL Mark said, “you are fun!” Yes, I am Mark, yes I am! :)

LJ J&M

 

 

Here are some of the things we saw along our walk at La Jolla. In the picture to the left, Larry & Mark.

 

LJ Tree

 

 

 

There were some pretty interesting tree formations along the path, this one is like half a heart. No wonder I was drawn to it! :) HAHA

 

LJ Rest

 

 

A restaurant at the top of the world, or top of a hotel rather… This is not where we ate. We ate at Jersey Subs today. LJ Seagull

Pelicans on parade. There were about 5 of them gliding together as if doing a water dance. It was a beautiful thing to watch.

 

LJ Sq          

 

Along the path were plenty of squirrels. Cali squirrels are much smaller then Minnesota squirrels. This cute little bugger was watching me watch him. Making sure I didn’t try to take his lunch like the seagulls did to the lady with the sandwich… No worries little buddy, I’m a meat eater!

 

 

And finally some more pictures of seals; one exercising, one flopping out of the water, one sunbathing. The first one with the silvery coat was my favorite. If you are in the San Diego area, I would recommend a visit to this area. I plan to go back before I leave here in August.

 

 

LJ Seal LJ Seal2 LJ Seal3

No comments:

Post a Comment