Sunday, July 11, 2010

Canterbury Park, Shakopee MN

 

This season Canterbury Park has free admission to celebrate their 25 years of racing. I used to go to the horse track quite a bit but that was a long time ago. I forgot how much I love it! It was good to get back out there. I didn’t really intend to gamble this time I was just going to hang out and get some good photos. I will be going a lot more this summer, the free admission will help insure that!

 

It took a little while to get back into how it all works. I still need to sit down with a program and relearn how to read it! The first place I go is to watch them walk the horses out in front. You will get a look at the horses running in the next race. I like to bet on the feisty ones, although that has back fired more then once. Sometimes I mistake unruly for feisty! LOL I prefer to be on the second level balcony to get a better view. Plus you can people watch up there too!

 

 

This horse was definitely feisty, the guy walking him around could barely keep him under control! That’s what I like to see in a race horse. There are definitely other considerations to take into account; Lasik's (especially 1st time), trainer, jockey, whether it’s a fast or muddy track, etc. But you don’t have to get into all that, I just go there for the fun.

 

 

 

Another attraction, for some, at the race track is the very large hats that some women wear. I guess if I start to go more maybe I should look into getting one for myself, yeah, maybe not. I think she knew I was taking her picture even though I didn’t hold the camera up, she just has that look about her. :)

 

 

 

AND THEY’RE OFF!!! I forgot how exciting it was to hear those words when you have a betting slip in your hand. Looking for your horse and hopefully he is making his way to cross the finish line first. And then the thrill of when he does! VICTORY!!!

 

 

 

Then we have those “photo finishes” where you have to wait, in agony, to find out if your horse won or if the other guy beat him by a nostril. You are always sure it was your horse though!

Sometimes it is…

Sometimes it isn’t…

 

 

 

But what you always hope for is your horse to come across first, all by himself. No need to wonder then! You will be holding your betting slip in your hand, throwing your arms up in true winner fashion. You will go to the window to collect your winnings, place another bet and hopefully go away with a few dollars more then what you showed up with. To me that’s a good day at the track.

 

On August 8th they are having Extreme Race Day where you can see camel & ostrich races, I’ll be there, should be fun! Every now and then I run into someone out there that I know, so I hope to see you out there sometime. GOOD LUCK & WIN BIG!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment