Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I Never Knew… North Dakota’s Beauty

As I drove thru North Dakota I wondered why I have waited so long to visit here. I’ve lived in the next state east all my life and never knew of the beauty that is western North Dakota. The further I drove along 94 the more I fell in love with this state! I could have been coming here all these years. I have visited 17 states so far this year alone and this one has moved right to the top of my favorites.

02 Yes F

 

 

 

 

 

 

The first stop I made was, of course, at the worlds largest buffalo. There is a buffalo museum, Frontier Village and live buffalo. I think both Dakotas tend to like their attractions large! LOL I have seen many signs for “World’s Largest something or other” and remember that from my trip to South Dakota years ago. Although, Minnesota still can take pride in the fact we have the worlds largest twine ball made by one man! :)

00 Yes FAs you can see this is a very large buffalo, that’s me standing under his chin. Also, Frontier Village has many buildings from the 1800s restored and has all the old relics of that era. The village saloon has the old bar and tables, the dentist office has all the old equipment used back then. I don’t like going to the dentist now, I couldn’t image going when they use the stuff I saw in there. Below are some images of the village.

05 Yes F 01 Yes F

 

Further down the road my GPS informed me we were coming up on Salem Sue, so I thought, what is Salem Sue. With today’s great technology I got online on my Palm Pre and looked it up. Well she is the worlds largest holstien cow. With my fondness for farming due to my summers spent on my grandparents farm I had to stop and see her. Sitting high on a hill in Salem, ND was Sue looking out over the region. As you can see by the table by Sue’s front right hoof, she probably is indeed the worlds largest holstien cow! When I got there a guy from Washington was photographing her. As I was leaving four ladies from Illinois were arriving to visit her. It just so happened that one of their names were Sue too.

 

 

 

Next I came across the Enchanted Highway. I found out about this highway last summer when I was looking for places to visit and have wanted to come here ever since. These sculptures are, of course, the worlds largest metal sculptures and large they are. Along 94 you would take exit 72. This Geese in Flight sculpture can be seen from 94 so you don’t miss your exit. They are definitely a sight to see and worth the drive. I had to travel about 30 miles south of 94 to see them all.

 

 

 

 

Deer crossing came next and is about 3 miles south of Geese in flight. I left the X in the photo so you could see the size of it. The next sculpture was a bit of a hike at 12 south of Deer Crossing. It did not disappoint. Grasshoppers delight had one large grass hopper, several smallers ones and very tall grass. The top of the legs on the small grasshopper where about as tall as me. This was one of my favorites.

 

 

 

 

About 5 miles south of the grasshoppers was Fisherman’s Dream. This is the most impressive of the bunch. There are so many and so much to look at here.  Even the shortest of the sculptures was much taller them me! I don’t much care for fishing but this was definitely my favorite.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Next up was Theodore Roosevelt rides again. The stage coach is normal size the bucking bronco is super sized! It was cool and I’m sure very hard to do, it just wasn’t near my top favorites.

The next one was Pheasants on the Prairie. Not a fan of this one.

 

 

 

Then came The Tin Family, loved it. There is so much detail in these, just as at Fisherman’s Dream. Just look at Mom’s basket of flowers and her hair. I really can’t decide which of those two are my favorite. 

 

 

 

 

You can see just how big this family is because I am standing by the boys foot in the picture on the left.

 

 

 

 

Here is a picture of my campsite. Yes, I know, it’s a really little tent. All I had on one days notice because I just planned this trip on Monday!!! And yup, I came here all by myself. I knew nothing about the area and was lucky enough to pick it anyway, so beautiful. For you next vacation definitely keep Medora, ND, in mind. There is a lot to do and see here. I’m staying at the Red Tail Campground and would recommend it whether you have an RV, camper or just a tent like me.

Stay tuned I’m going horse back riding today and into Theodore Roosevelt State Park.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment